The ongoing disruption brought about by COVID-19 has changed and continues to change daily life as we know it, leaving many Filipinos wondering about how they could effectively protect themselves and sanitize the surfaces around them.
Although there’s plenty of information on general hygiene—regular washing of the hands and use of protective gears like face mask—there’s not much specific information on what one should do about a vehicle he or she is riding to keep it safe from COVID-19.
But before we get into how to keep one’s car free from sturdy germs like COVID-19, let the World Health Organization (WHO) refresh us as to how this highly infectious disease is transmitted. COVID-19 can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth, which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs, exhales or even talks. The droplets can land on objects and surfaces and if someone touches these objects or surfaces then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth, transmission is possible. One could also get infected if that person happens to breathe in the virus-laden droplets still suspended in the air.
Right type of car disinfection
This is why the right type of disinfection is crucial when it comes to keeping the interior of the vehicle safe from COVID-19, according to Autovolution Inc., which markets Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution for vehicle interior.
Bactakleen uses a proven technology that is widely used in Japan and in the United States. The Ultra Mist Solution employs a specially designed fumigation device that converts the product’s concentrated solution into microscopic cleaning particles. This ultra-fine mist—atomized—remain suspended in the vehicle’s interior for several minutes and as a result, reach even hidden recesses of the vehicle including the air conditioning system including the vents, spaces under the seats, seat crevices and flooring where deadly if not foul odor-causing germs or may thrive.
Autovolution Inc. reminded Filipino motorists why its Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution is the most sought after vehicle disinfectant system these days:
- The plant-based, all-natural ingredients (botanical extracts) of Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution was recently certified by SGS of Malaysia (July 15, 2020 report) to be 99.99 percent effective in killing the human coronavirus (which include COVID-19, the virus that causes the Middle East respiratory syndrome or MERS-CoV and sudden acute respiratory syndrome or SARS). Likewise, the TUV laboratory in Hungary (July 23, 2020 report) found the same product to be 99.99 percent toxic to human coronavirus.
Both SGS and TUV are internationally recognized certification bodies.
- Majority of the country’s biggest car brands and most of their dealerships have partnered with Autovolution Inc.: Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Chevrolet, Hino, Hyundai, MG, Isuzu, Kia, Suzuki, Subaru, Ford, Foton, and GAC Motors.
These dealerships have taken all the precautions to not just disinfect their showrooms and work area but also make sure that the vehicles they hand over are properly disinfected. Because of this trust to its product, Bactakleen PH said it is proud to be part of today’s health-conscious motoring community and will continue to offer products that are certified effective.
- ChemLab of Malaysia also tested Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution for durability—it found that after one treatment, the solution remains active against virus, bacteria, and fungus for at least eight weeks and even up to 12 weeks.
Bactakleen said this is a significant finding. Because of its long-term efficacy, vehicle owners are actually paying just P11 or even less per day for protection against deadly, disease- or odor-causing pathogens, which is a lot more cost effective especially when compared with other products that have not thoroughly tested for its durability and lack international certifications for such.
Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution’s ability to remain active inside vehicle surfaces is important considering that a New England Journal of Medicine confirmed (a report published last April 16, 2020) that COVID-19 can linger on different types of surfaces for significant periods of time. The study found that the virus can linger on plastic as well as stainless steel surfaces for up to three days. Just by touching these contaminated surfaces or by merely breathing air in such a confined space could already risk infection.
Among the frequently touched surfaces that Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution instantly disinfect include the door handles, seatbelts, steering wheel, shift lever, any buttons or touch screens, wiper and turn signal stalks, passenger and driver door armrests, grab handles, and seat adjusters.
- Another certifying body, the SIRIM QAS International of Malaysia, has found Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution to not cause skin irritation. Because the product is made up of natural, non-toxic, and non-corrosive ingredients, Bactakleen PH added that it will not discolor, stain or be damaging to upholstery (leather or fabric) and other delicate plastic surfaces like touchscreen.
- Aside from COVID-19, Bactakleen Ultra Mist Solution can effectively kill Esherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureaus, Candida albicans (yeast), Aspergillus niger (mould), Pseudomonas aeroginosa, S. Epidermis, Bacillus, Salmonella and M2 virus (a type of influenza virus).
For more information, one may visit Autovolution Inc. along 8101 Pearl Plaza Bldg., Pearl Drive, Ortigas Center, Pasig City, or contact 7978-5353 or visit their Facebook page at Bactakleen PH.
Charles E. Buban is an old timer in the Philippine automotive journalism scene. He first started covering the automotive beat in 2003, writing news and reviews of new models and car tech, among other car-related stuff. When not writing about cars, he could often be seen riding his mountain bike or doing long walks in the hope of catching a couple of legendary Pokemons.