Victims of the accident at a portion of the Skyway Extension project in Cupang, Muntinlupa City, have received a total of P20 million-worth of financial aid from San Miguel Corp. (SMC).
SMC president and chief operating officer Ramon Ang said he was “deeply affected by the pain” that the accident has caused the victims and vowed to support the victims financially to allow them to resume their livelihood.
Last month, a steel girder at the Skyway Extension project site collapsedand fell on vehicles below the east service road in Muntinlupa City, leaving one person dead and four others injured.
SMC is in charge of the Skyway Extension project, which will connect other segments of the Skyway and link the North Luzon Expressway and the South Luzon Expressway. The contractor of the particular project segment where the accident occurred is EEI Corp.
“I’ve been deeply affected by the pain this has caused them and have been assessing different ways to assist the victims of this unfortunate accident, apart from what our contractor EEI has been providing them,” Ang said in a statement on Monday.
“I hope this amount would be a step towards helping them rebuild their lives. With the right support, we can all overcome adversity and lead full lives,” he added.
A huge part of the assistance, Ang said, would go to the family of the victim who died — which includes shouldering the education expenses of the victim’s four-year-old daughter.
“Following the accident, I was able to speak directly to the wife. It’s very painful to suddenly lose a loved one. I promised her that I would take care of them, especially their child’s education until she graduates from college. It will be as if they still have family supporting them,” he assured.
SMC said the amount would be on top of the medical expenses and other help provided by EEI Corp.
Ang previously apologized for the mishap, even though the project was handled by EEI Corp — explaining that SMC’s role as the project’s proponent makes it responsible for the victims’ welfare.