LAS VEGAS — Formula One will light up Las Vegas on a Saturday night in November 2023 as the streets of ‘Sin City’ are taken over by the fastest cars and most famous drivers in the world, officials said on Wednesday.
The Las Vegas Grand Prix’s 6.12km track will see drivers roar past landmarks such as the Bellagio Fountains and Caesars Palace.
“This is an incredible moment for Formula One that demonstrates the huge appeal and growth of our sport with a third race in the United States,” said Stefano Domenicali, president and CEO of Formula One.
“Las Vegas is a destination known around the world for its excitement, hospitality, thrills, and of course, the famous Strip.
“There is no better place for Formula One to race than in the global entertainment capital of the world and we cannot wait to be here next year.”
The sport previously struggled to make inroads in the country, particularly after an infamous six car race at Indianapolis in 2005 left huge reputational damage.
But its popularity has been surging in the United States, which this year will host the Miami Grand Prix in May and the United States Grand Prix in Austin in October.
The popular Netflix docu-series ‘Drive to Survive’ has also turbocharged interest.
Next year’s race marks the return of Formula One to Las Vegas, which was the site of the Ceasars Palace Grand Prix in the early 1980s.
“We eagerly anticipate the moment when the history, energy and momentum of Formula One will culminate in an unforgettable Saturday night on the Las Vegas Strip,” said Steve Hill, the CEO of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
“Spectators will experience the unrivaled thrill of watching these world-class drivers race through what is sure to become one of the most iconic racetracks in the world.”